Monday, February 8, 2010

Chronicles of the shop #002.

The other day I was ringing an American woman at the counter. Queenstown is loaded with tourists and most of the time they are European so when she opened her mouth and an American accent came out, I couldn't help but ask, "Where are you from?"

"Oh I'm from the states?"

"Yes." I realize that..."Where are you from in the states?"

"Oh, right smack dab in the middle of the country, at the top."

"Which state?" And does she not realize I'm American?

"Minnesota."

Finally I let out a squeal that I too was from Minnesota. Well, she nearly fell over. Couldn't possibly believe she was running into another Minnesotan. The world is so small! It is. It really is.

The more we got to chatting I learned she is actually from Wilmar, MN. I decided to play the lovely game of Do You Know? and asked her if she happened to know the Boylan family as I'd gone to college with their son and he's an old friend of mine. Yes, she knew of them. A connection. At a counter in a small shop in New Zealand. Funny how things like that happen.

No comments: