Tuesday, February 23, 2010

beautiful scenery.


I've spoken to several people over skype lately, and I usually have very similar things to report. I've been relaxing. Literally, total relaxation. So often in the states when I relax I feel riddled with guilt. I realize this isn't normal OR healthy, but its true. Feeling productive is like crack to me. For the past three weeks I've been working, running, eating delicious food cooked at home with a glass of wine in-hand, and watching movies or the Olympics. I do not have a cell phone. I don't have any friends - besides lovely Caitlin and Loren who have been slammed with parties, a wedding, a visit from papa and work - and therefore my social life has been reduced to minimal proportions. And I can't emphasize how much I say this without one ounce of complaint. In Seattle or Minneapolis, I'm used to jamming my calendar full of activities or just about anyone I can find to hang out with me. After three weeks of total and complete relaxation I feel like I'm finally able to take in the sights around me. Finally able to breathe and not feel in a rush. To just sit. And not feel bad about it, but rather, to relish in it. I feel like I'm coming back to life also. Like this blender spiral I was spinning around in has finally settled into a brilliant smoothie of delicious colors and flavors. I feel good. I feel great! I feel settled. And happy. I feel more like myself than I have in a really long time. I finally have the time to sit and reflect on the things I want out of life and the goals I'd like to try and accomplish in the next few years. So often in the spin of the real world its so hard to bring yourself out of the fog and into a head space that's clear and free. I feel lucky to be here and to have this time to feel so free. Its completely grand.

I can't say its been an easy road to get here. Its been quite the wild ride of emotions and soul-searching. But, nothing in life worth anything is ever easy.

So with that said, I don't have a lot of visual representation of what life's been like. I've got some more beautiful scenery because that is what I live off of at the moment. Beautiful scenery. And some good food...and always, a great glass of wine.




This is the scenery from the balcony in our condo. The sunset over The Remarkables was...well, remarkable.



In other news, Tracy and Scott were here for a visit last week. It was really nice to have a piece of "home" here on the other side of the planet. On their last day, it felt strange when they left to say, "See you in Seattle!" while standing there on the sidewalk, looking out at the mountains and the lake. Odd how small the world is and that 24 hours later they'd be relaxing in their Woodinville house, probably saying how weird it was that just yesterday they were in New Zealand.


I've also learned a couple new kiwi phrases that I'd like to share. I heard my roommate, Dave, talking about one of his friends trying to basically give a girl the hint that he wasn't into her. He actually said, "He had one girl he was trying to Flick, but....yadda yadda." Interesting use of Flick. I suppose it makes total sense. Like an unwanted bug on your shoulder!

In a later conversation with said roommate, I asked him if the item he happened to be drinking was good or not. His answer, "Just like mother's milk" - meaning, its fantastic. I think I might try and incorporate that one into everyday American life. We'll see.

2 comments:

kristi said...

I am so thankful that you are willing to share the thoughts and emotions you have while on this journey. It makes me stop and assess my own life. I'm hoping make a few small steps in my life when you make a few giant ones in your life. Hugs from MN. Miss you!

Jora said...

The thought of drinking my mother's milk at this point in my life does not sound good, haha. Might have to leave that phrase in NZ!!