Monday, May 11, 2009

Quily.

We moved Tyson out to the Olympic peninsula this past weekend, marking the start of his summer/fall Ranger position in the Olympic National Forest. Of course I had to have a few emotional meltdowns beforehand but by 9pm Saturday we had the car packed and we were ready to spend a few hours enjoying each others' company before a summer spent apart. I use Apart loosely in that I'm already going to see him Friday.

Overall I feel really great about Tyson working on the peninsula for the summer. I am thrilled for him and his opportunity to advance in a career doing something he loves. The prospect of visiting him is awesome considering Tyson is living in one of the most beautiful places in Washington state. I will now have loads of time to read, and run and cook and sew and clean and bike and see friends and do the things I love to do. We will still be able to embark on many a camping trip and already have plans to kayak the San Juan islands and backpack Mt. St. Helens this summer. Its pretty darn great.

But when the moment came to say goodbye on Sunday night, I was really, really sad. We were both sad. We hugged for a solid twenty minutes and it started to hit me how much I was going to miss the weeknight dinners and evening runs and just every day life with Tyson available for any and all good times. And the laughs! He's my best friend. And I'll miss him. When I drove away I waved and looked at him in the rearview mirror. Right in that moment, a whole new chapter had begun.

We were able to spend some time on the peninsula after moving Tyson into his new home. I made him cheesily pose in front of the Ranger Station sign and his house.

And here are some lovely mountains right out the front door:


We took a small tour of Quilcene and then headed over to Port Townsend - a larger town of about 9,000 people and known as a Victorian seaport and artist community. Along the way, hand-painted signs hug the road offering oysters, clams, crab and all manner of deliciousness. We spend the afternoon playing on the beach of a state park looking out at the mountains and hitting rocks with sticks. As always, good times.






I'm so proud of you, Tyson. Miss you!

No comments: