Monday, July 14, 2008

old school.

After throwing a small tantrum, I convinced my oldest friends to board a plane and visit me in Seattle. I had been looking forward to Kes and Jora's visit for some time, and before I knew it, they were here! Jora and I met in the second grade having both been placed in Ms. Camerote's class, and were instant friends. Kesney added her amazing flavor to the group in fifth grade, with a sweet red outfit and "new concept" hair: one braided piece swept in the front. The rest is history. We've been through so much together. First kisses. 5th grade plays. We danced and played sports together. Our families know each other. We visited each others' colleges. Now we visit each others' cities. Years and years of stories.

I picked them up around midnight on Thursday. We stayed up late into the night talking. 4am. Lots to catch up on considering the last time the three of us were together was Thanksgiving 2007. Friday I went to work, but they came to meet me and we had a lovely liquid lunch + salads. After work, and some quick advice from my boss, we headed out on the Seattle Duck Boat tour! It was so effin great! Never in my life have I experienced such fantastic kitsch. The duck boat goes from the Space Needle down to the warf, through Pioneer Square and over near Fremont. From there the duck goes from land to water and enters into Lake Union with great views of the city, Gasworks Park and all of the houseboats including the one from Sleepless in Seattle. You sing songs, including YMCA and many other "pump-you-up" 80's tracks. Hilarious. People honk at you. And the whole time learning cool things about Seattle. We loved it.

After the tour, Jora and Kes finally met Tyson. The four of us headed out to Oaxaca for tapas in Ballard. Margaritas + great, great food, then down the street to Madame K's for two Orgasm orders. Yep, the Orgasm is their famed dessert - one that my mom was also happy to sample when she visited. I told them all they'd be scraping with their spoons and literally, they were.

Saturday we slept in a bit and then headed out of town to hike Little Si. The weather was perfect. The hike was tough, but luckily pretty short and sweet. We ate lunch at the top and then headed back to the car, bound for the closest place that would serve us ice cream items.

Saturday night we stayed in and grilled ourselves a feast! Chicken, steak, shrimp and corn with rice pilaf. We sat on the roof of my condo and watched the sunset and gabbed. I miss those moments of unhurried time with friends. I'm at a place in life where usually now its a quick dinner or a few drinks after work and then friends all go back to our respective places. We just sat there. And enjoyed each others' company.

...until a cake craving sent Tyson to the grocery store. Cake and movies.

Sunday we headed out to several neighborhood markets and finally enjoyed a beer and some tacos from Malena's on Queen Anne hill. Later, when I dropped them at the airport, I was totally sad. These women have been such a huge part of my life for so many years. I wish I was able to spend more time with them. I appreciate the fact that we all have our own lives and whether we talk every week or every other month, we will always be incredibly important to each other. But I really do miss them.

Thanks for visiting, J & K. Love you!


bess said...

This looks like so much fun! The sky is so blue in all of your photos.

Jora said...

What a perfectly amazing time we had. I seriously cannot wait to book my next flight!!!!

Love you so much honey. This trip was one for the record books.