Sunday, June 29, 2008

sponsored by the Apple iphone, sausage and REI : Day 2

Morning temperatures were cold. Our oatmeal was deliciously hot. Gearing up.

We packed up our campsite knowing the desire to do much of anything once we finished our climb would be slim to none. The rocky trail we bouldered took nearly an hour for us to even reach the base of Aasgard pass. Terrain was so interesting and different than anything I'd hiked/climbed and I really enjoyed it. Looming though, out in front of me, were the scared and anxious feelings I remembered from Mt. Adams the summer before.

But putting the gear on is fun. Fun before you actually have to use it and start climbing. Such a feeling of toughness and adventure! Or for us, Badass.

The beginning proved to be manageable and though our group's demeanor was intense, I think we were all excited to be experiencing the shaky knees and beautiful views. Really that was until we reached an area where the ice axe no longer went DOWN into the snow, but rather picked into the SIDE of a wall. "I'm done." Dubbed as Terrified Tara, she decided she'd had enough of a 'new experience' to be able to say she climbed, used crampons and an ice axe, and turned back for a relaxing sunning experience on a rock near the lake. Doreen went with her so no one was left alone.

The three of us remaining pressed on and climbed over holes in the snow with rushing water beneath, slippery gravel rock and finally were back to the bouldering from the very beginning - only 7,000 feet up this time. It was definitely the hardest thing I've ever done and the most scared I've ever been. Brandon and I didn't make it to the summit. And I would say none of us reached our goals. We climbed for probably three hours and were so close to the top, but our ambitions were waning. As Brandon and I ate lunch, Tyson scurried up to the top to just see if it was even that, the top. It was A top. A very odd and space-like looking top. But the Enchantments were no where to be seen.

After sliding down on our bums in 1/100th the time it took us to climb up, I think we were all ready for celebratory beers. But alas, we still had to pack up the campsite and hike out. Exhausted.

The hike in was so animated. Songs. Laughing. Story-telling. The hike out was absolutely silent. We were so tired. We were ready for the Bavarian village to immediately inject us with sausage and sauerkraut. And when we were finished and finally made it to the Munchen Haus in Leavenworth, we did just that. Yum.

1 comment:

bbo said...

HEEEEEEY, so THAT'S where my hat is! AHHHH, hilaaaarious franny!

I'm so goddamn random when I show up, I know.

See you soon!