Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Orange Jello-shots.

So my bachelorette party was the weekend before last in Minnesota, and though I knew it was going to be great, I had no idea it would facilitate an evening of total dreamy awesomeness.

All of the details - from the drive up north catching up in the car, to the late night chatter, to watching my Mama laugh with my girlfriends - were so special, and I would catch myself from time to time just being present in the moment and realizing what a one-of-a-kind weekend this was!

We set off for the cabin early Friday afternoon and arrived just before dinner time, meaning, just in time for a Happy Hour of cocktails and margaritas! Friday night turned out to be all of the CSB gals and my friend, Ann, who of course fit right in and everyone adored her. And even though Friday night was pretty relaxing and raucous-free, I must say I had an absolutely perfect evening of good friends and good conversation.

Saturday we were up and sipping coffee pretty early. I was nervous as weather predictions had been changing by the minute, and the plan was to hit the lake and spend the day on the party pontoon!
But by the time we had the coolers loaded and our feet hit the boat the sun was shining. We sipped bloody mary's and listened to music and cruised the lake.
There is something so totally MN-special about being on "the lake", and I just treasure it so much. I was so happy to be there!
Then my mama called and she and Jora had arrived so we scooped them up at the dock. After another loop or so around the lake we went back and scooped up Jamie, my brother's new fiance! The whole group got along famously! By the time we headed back to the cabin it was nearly 5pm and I remember thinking, "If my bachelorette party was over right now, I'd be totally happy." But yeah, it wasn't.
Soon the energy shifted and we were all showering and donning party clothes for our night out! We sat around the table and ate dinner together and before we knew it Clyde of Clyde's Rides phoned and was waiting in the drive-way to pick us up! Turns out, even though he is retired and has stark white hair, Clyde is not afraid to blair hip hop and endorse a tupperware of orange Jell-O shots to make the rounds in the back of his van.
The plan: two Townie bars and then on to the pinnacle that is Moon Light Bay. The first bar was great and we sat outside sipping cocktails until a lovely (sober*) woman popped by to chat and give us life and marriage advice. Sue was in her fifties and definitely had an opinion. By the end of that bar I remember two things: 1) her breasts, because she showed them to us, and 2) that the key to a good marriage is "communication and sex". Thank you, Sober Sue.
* Sue was not sober, though she claimed she was.
By the time we made it to Moon Light Bay the energy was this perfect. Stars aligned. I have to say it, they totally did. We hit that dance floor around 11pm and outside of very few bathroom breaks and the occasional trip to the bar, we danced for hours until 2am.
It was Dance Like No One's Watching kinda dancing. It was Dance Like Its Your Last Night On Earth kinda dancing.
It was so, so fun. I looked around that dance floor a few times and remember thinking about how lucky I am to have such amazing friends.
And I must say that my Mama had a rockin' time! I was so glad that both she and Jamie were able to come. Part of the reason I loved my bachelorette party was that the energy in the group was fantastic! Even though folks didn't all know each other it seemed like people took the time to chat and get to know each other, and it meant the world to me.

To all of the women who made my MN bachelorette party awesome! I can't wait to see you all again on our big wedding day!

No comments: