Sunday, June 5, 2011

Connect.

Having coffee with a friend today I expressed that I really haven't felt like writing lately. I so don't feel like writing. And what's most sad/scary about it all is that I used to get really excited to write, to blog, to take pictures, to edit photos and to express myself. It never felt forced or cumbersome, it was truly something I looked forward to and enjoyed the mental space I occupied when writing. WHERE DID IT GO?!

So there's that.

In other news, Tyson and I took a weekend to get out of town and reconnect. We have both been extremely tired lately. And busy. And I, more so than him, was feeling just a little out of sorts in our union. I say that because in response to me calling our weekend away, "Reconnection 2011!" Tyson looked at me and said, "I don't feel disconnected, do you?" Oh ladies and gentlemen, not always on the same page.

Reconnection 2011 proved to rock from the get-go. The night before we hopped on Craigslist to see if we could score some free wood and sure enough there was an ad - someone renovating left a pile on the curb outside their house. In the morning we made two crucial stops, one for coffee and Top Pot donuts and another to load up on the free wood! I think being in the car en route to some sort of trip - any trip - is really at the root of the joy in our union. We put on some good tunes, we donned our sunglasses and munched on our donuts. Happy little clams.

The plan was to find a dispersed campsite somewhere near Crystal Mountain Ski area and spend Saturday hiking and Sunday snowboarding. We found a great little spot and despite the ominous weather forecast we spent the day hiking under mostly sunny skies.



The evening brought the rain and we had fun engineering a tarp system to keep us dry. Tyson hung our boxed wine on a tree and quickly the tree became the bar. "Hey, you heading to the bar? Can you get me a drink, please?"


We turned on some tunes and sat by the fire, sipped our red wine and played cribbage for hours. Just laughing and talking. We played in the river, roasted hot dogs and we threw around Tyson's glow-in-the-dark frisbee. That night was the best!

In the morning we headed to Crystal Mountain and snowboarded in nearly whiteout spring conditions. It wasn't the best snowboarding ever but it was really fun just to be out and get in a few runs one last time before the season ends.


The night we returned to Seattle we were brushing our teeth before bed and laughing our heads off at something stupid. "It feels good to laugh like that again." I said, wiping a tear as I'd laughed so hard I cried a little. "Yeah, I guess you're right, we really hadn't done the laughing at nothing thing in a while." Tyson responded. See. We needed it. Reconnection 2011 was a raging success! Its weird how that happens sometimes, life getting in the way of all the fun. But its so great when you get it back!

P.S. - It has been 75 degrees and sunny both Saturday and Sunday this weekend here in Seattle. Tyson has been out of town with his mountaineering class and I have been just doing all things I want to do! Reading, sunning, errands, cocktails and movies.
P.P.S. - I am heading to Minnesota next week for my bachelorette party! Cross Lake with all my favorite MN ladies here I come! Dying. Can't wait.
P.P.P.S. - Even though I didn't feel like writing this post initially, it was actually kinda fun. I feel extremely rusty in my writing though. Need to work on that. :)

No comments: