Saturday, October 17, 2009

pure joy.

Last night, I arrived home from work heavy. For weeks I've felt as though a 500lb weight has been sitting on my chest. The stress and anxiety of my workload and my new role in the agency has been intense. Coupled with the fact that after my marathon I haven't really worked out in three weeks - I think my body misses its almost daily destressing through some sort of workout.

I walked in the door to home, and it took nearly everything in me to put on my running clothes, grab my headphones and head out into the crisp, early evening. Off in the distance dark clouds loomed. I pushed play and with the first few sounds of Belle and Sebastian I was off. I whizzed by people and cars, down the sidewalk, crunching over leaves, and I felt really alive. I started laughing to myself at the joy I was experiencing. The joy of running. I rounded a corner into unknown territory thinking if possible I'd make the intended course a bit longer. When I came out the other side, much to my surprise I landed on a route facing all of downtown, Puget Sound and Lake Union. I watched the sunset as I ran along and when I finished I couldn't believe I'd neglected such a vital piece of happiness. No more! Back on the wagon I go. Running.

Similarly, several days a week I choose to forgo already delicious black coffee for something sweeter and indulge in a "skinny easy mocha, extra hot" from Vivace. The way I feel in the process of going to get the coffee and then subsequently consuming it is a coveted window in time of pure joy. There's just something so fun about treating yourself to coffee. Like when you know its going to be a rough day, somehow, getting coffee prepares you in a way nothing else can. I love coffee. And I'm not alone. Co-workers too feel this same joy. And I spoke to Birdy this morning as she waited in line at Caribou in MN - her only piece of sanity in an already stressful morning of chaos with two young kiddies at home. She too feels this love. Coffee = Joy. Thank you, coffee.

I will see you tomorrow, running & coffee. And you will make me happy!

No comments: