Monday, January 5, 2009

Holiday connections.

A typical trip home for me is like organized chaos. An already planned five or six lunch dates, dinners and coffee chats always turns into a nineteen-or-so threaded together web of engagements. Planning is an art and I never seem to fit it all in, leaving Minneapolis with a few "Crap!, I should've called so-and-so." moments. A random sampling:


Dinner with my CSB girls. Treasured girlfriends for life. A champagne toast and many bottles of wine at Zelo. Then a few blocks down Nicollet to the Local with the old crew from 3233 Hennepin Avenue South - our first apt. after college. And as we'd done so many nights before, we closed'er down. After eleven years, different but also the same, our friendships are very, very strong.


Old school High School buddies. Its been nearly 9 years since I've seen these guys and I laughed just as hard as I did back in the day.


A trip in the car to New Ulm with Jora and Kes.

We visited a psychic and I am as big a skeptic having "experienced" it as I was envisioning how much I wouldn't believe her. But she was a very nice lady. And hopefully she won't turn the spirits on to me as revenge for my skepticism. Regardless the two-or-so hours in the car each direction proved fruitful for countless topics of conversation. We've never had a problem chatting. For twenty years we've chatted

My roommate Doreen circa 2004 from Humboldt Avenue South.

I knew I liked her when I discovered she biked to work one day. We'd spoken maybe ten words when we decided to sign up for the Mpls. marathon together. Then roommates. Now she lives in NYC and though I couldn't possibly live further from her in the U.S., she's been here to visit twice and we connect over the phone like sisters. I'm still holding out hope that she may make her way West sometime in the future.



Dinner and a whole bottle of wine to myself with Crow. She's got a bun in the oven so whoops, I indulged. Haley joined us and an evening that was supposed to end somewhat early went on for hours. I eventually sent myself back in time calling my parents to tell them I wasn't going to be home later. I was sleeping at a friend's.




Babysitting my sweetie sweetheart nephew, Matthew, who I love dearly and miss so much. I laughed so hard that day. Puzzles, drawing, movies, changing his outfit ten times, singing songs and of course make-believe basketball. Matthew made a six-pointer. Ha.



And my mother's 59th birthday.

She is a fantastic woman and someone I truly admire for all of her spunk and spirit. Countless times I laugh at her adorable little quips. Oh Debbie.

The fam braved the roads for some crazy stir-fry dinner. Then Jora and I popped in to have a brew with my brothers and went back to my parents' to sit and talk several hours into the night with them. I love you, 'rents!



No comments: