Monday, July 23, 2007

happy bikes.


I spent last weekend in Portland, OR visiting Bbo and her boyfriend, Will. They moved from Seattle to Portland last winter and I've missed having them here a lot. We had so much fun just chatting, going out to dinner, laughing, and catching up on our lives. Love them!

I know biking is big in Portland and I was curious about the possibility of finding a vintage cruiser bike to bring home on the train. After some craigslist shopping and finally landing at a swap meet (The Recylclery), I found my new ride. The bike thing is contagious in Portland. Everywhere you look bikers are happily commuting. Its almost like not having a bike is as close to not having a car while living in the suburbs. Not an option. I started looking up some statistics and found that Grist ranks Portland the #2 green city in the world (behind Reykjavik, Iceland) and yet again bikes are mentioned:“The City of Roses’ approach to urban planning and outdoor spaces has often earned it a spot…It also runs a comprehensive system of light rail, buses, and bike lanes to help keep cars off the roads…and more than 74 miles of hiking, running, and biking trails.”



Seems like I found the perfect souvenirs from my Portland visit = biking patches and a shiny new Schwinn.

No comments: