Thursday, July 5, 2007

Circa 1995.


My high school friend, Brian ("Swanny"), passed away last week. My prom date actually. Brian was a pretty fantastic friend to me. I'm sure there are countless people who could say the same. He was absolutely genuine in every way. He never hesitated to tell you his true opinion. He was there for me whenever I needed him. In fact, one of the last conversations I had with Brian was while he was in the hospital and I told him of an unfortunate, recent event in my life. The first thing out of his mouth was, "Andrea, why didn't you call me? You know you can always call me."

We had remained close over the years getting together for dinners and catching up usually over a drink. I'll never forget watching his softball games and heading to the Choo Choo afterward to celebrate with Jimmy, the bartender..who also loved Brian. Sunsets restaurant in Wayzata. Bonfires out at Tom and Debbie's. Champs, Kirins, Bennigan's. The chipmonk story. Any story for that matter. Disagreeing on politics and gun control issues. Hearing Brian's laugh. Giving advice on girls. Receiving advice on practically anything. And all in all, just having a good time and enjoying each others' company. Swanny led a life he should be proud of and I'm so glad I knew him.

I'll miss you, Brian.

No comments: