Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New and Shiny!

Its a whole new year! Crazy. Just like that. Someone recently asked if I have any regrets from 2011. A missed opportunity perhaps. A learning. Or maybe something I did, and wished I hadn't done. Well, I'm not really a regrets kinda gal! Yeah we didn't go on a single backpacking trip - absolutely a missed opportunity. I didn't do a lot of writing, and as a result I have a hard time writing even this post. But overall I have to say that 2011 was bombtastic. This time last year I'd been engaged for almost two weeks (eeeeek!). We did some snowboarding. I spent a magical weekend in MN with some of the most amazing women on the planet. We gathered together our closest friends and family and I married my partner and absolute best friend...and then jetted off on a honeymoon that will surely be a highlight of my life when I'm ninety, swearing like a sailor still, and look back on it all. Yeah, life was pretty good in 2011. Even stranger is to think that almost two years ago, to the date, we'd quit our jobs and were hopping a plane for New Zealand - a move so terrifying and yet so exhilarating that its the most alive I think I've ever felt. I'm reminded of that feeling as I look out into the unknown that is 2012. What will I carve out and define for this precious year of life? I plan to dig deep and scoop up some of that madness that comes with taking risks. I'm not yet sure how this will manifest but hopefully it means I will push myself out of my comfort zone this year and find that edge where excitement and fear create living. Eeeeeek! (Again.)

In a not so scary but more general sense, I plan to:
+ floss
+ care less about what people think of me
+ actually learn how to play my baritone ukulele
+ live with intention
+ read, read, read
+ write, write, write
+ go, go, go...to the Methow Valley, to Vietnam, to Mt Baker, to St Louis, to MN, to Banff National Park, to Portland,...to the mountains and to the sea

No comments: